Feed the Frenzy

Sunday, April 01, 2012

sf_general_100x100It seems like NaNoWriMo wasn’t that long ago. Apparently, it has been, as it’s April once again and time for Script Frenzy. I’ve (finally) completed a new draft of an old short story and ready to start!

I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to do it this year—for a number of reasons that I won’t go into here. But, following the advice I often give others, “Any word count greater than zero” is a good thing. It’s too easy to give up before you’ve even reached the starting gate. (Yes, I’m badly mixing my metaphors here. Deal with it.)

A friend challenged me this year to develop a story that had no science fiction or fantasy elements in it. Naturally, my brain immediately seized up at the thought. After all, pretty much any else is  . . . well . . . mundane.

However, completely lacking any other story ideas that I believe can be sustained for 100 pages of script, I’m going to pick up the gauntlet and accept the challenge. (See? I can extend a metaphor properly on occasion.)

My attempt at Script Frenzy was also a departure from my usual genre. We all know how well that turned out . . . (It didn’t.)

So . . .

Lights! Camera! Action! Keyboard!