NaNoWriMo 2013 Report: Another Unsolved Mystery . . .

Sunday, December 01, 2013

2013-Winner-Square-ButtonFinal word count: 50,129
Average words per day: 1,675

The body count rises. Red herrings are released into the wild. The wrong suspect has been taken into custody. Friends deal with a terrible moral dilemma.

Not a bad month’s writing, if I do say so.

While hardly a record year, word count-wise, any year I finish and hit the 50,000-word goal is a good one. Right? I had planned on blaming the lower word count than planned on assisting with two Virtual Write-In events.

Unfortunately, I can’t. The days of those events were, by a noticeable margin, among the ones with my highest daily word counts. Hmm. Perhaps there’s something there.

So, what’s next?

Well, an ending would be nice.

In what is a very unusual occurrence for me, the climactic scenes did not come to me during the middle weeks. I have a vague notion of what needs to transpire there, which is good, but nothing solid—certainly not enough to yet write anything around. I suspect more development of the plot and characters will solve that problem, though.

This is also one of those stories, I think, where I need someone to read the current draft and let me know whether or not there’s actually something there worth finishing. It was not quite the piece I started out to write (isn’t that always the way?) and a small litter of plot bunnies run freely throughout it.

NaNoWriMo is definitely one of those cases where the journey alone is its own reward. Congratulations to everyone else who participated, whether you “won” or not!