Something Wicked This Way Comes . . .

Saturday, October 31, 2009
Tonight is October 31. In addition to it being Halloween, it is also the eve of the madness known as National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo, for short).

This year shows promise to be an interesting and challenging one. Several of my writing friends who had taken one or both of the previous two years off are returning to share in the mutual insanity. This year, I tossed my proverbial hat into the proverbial ring and picked up not one, but two newbies to serve as their mentor in all things NaNoWriMo. While it is said that writing is a solitary vice, apparently it is both contagious and highly communicable between those who are susceptible to such syndromes.

For this year's writing effort, I have an idea. Okay, I have slightly more than an idea. I also have a main character, a bit about his background, and some information about technology that he interacts with. What I don't have at this moment is a plot. What I have is the thinnest notion of an concept for a story. You know: the kind they base entire Tom Cruise movies on.

I'm really hoping that this will turn out to be one of those stories where the character drives the plot, and that events will unfold in an interesting and readable manner. Otherwise, I suspect this novel will be my personal equivalent of God Emperor of Dune. (I seem to be one of only five or so people who actually like that book in the "Dune" series, but that's a topic for another time.)

As in NaNoWriMo years past, I will post weekly reports of my progress here, as well as a summary at the end. If you're interested in reading it as it goes along, you can find it here: http://sfwriter13-nanowrimo2009.blogspot.com.
Labels: ,