The Year 2008 in Review, The Year 2009 Ahead

Friday, January 02, 2009
Well, let's see how I did this year . . .

2008 Accomplishments

Here are my 2007 writing-related goals and how well I did during the year:
  1. Finish a new draft of "Building Baby Brother" and submit it.
    Um . . . no. I did have two other people read it and got some really good additional feedback. (Thanks, Wir!)
  2. Begin work on the second draft of Battlefield.
    Nope. Nothing to see here. Move along, move along . . .
  3. Participate in NaNoWriMo 2008.
    Participate: Yes. Win: No. 20,000 words, though. As I worded this as "participate", I guess I get this one?
  4. Participate in Script Frenzy 2008.
    Participate: Yes. Win: Yes. Can you also say, "Uh oh, what have I created here?" Was was supposed to be a 100-page script (which I envisioned as a two-hour pilot for a television series) ended out at 285 pages--so a six-hour mini-series. I completed the first draft last night (01/01/09). It needs some work, but it is finished. Trying to finish this pretty much consumed the bulk of my writing in the latter half of the year, hence why some of the other writing work didn't get done.
  5. A page a day. If nothing else: a page a day.
    Yes. I think so, anyway. I'm sure if I calculated the total page count for the year, I probably did. Hmm ... maybe I need to keep an actual log this year.
2009 Goals

These are my writing-related goals for the year:
  1. Finish what I start.
    For 2009, I want to finish the first drafts of some of the unfinished work I have sitting around. This is actually the three NaNoWriMo pieces from 2006, 2007, and 2008.
  2. Submit what I finish.
    Maybe the third time's a charm for having "Building Baby Brother" on this list? As far as novels go, it would be nice to submit at least one this year, but I suspect committing to a second draft is probably a more realistic goal.
  3. Participate in Script Frenzy 2009.
    Script Frenzy 2008 was an extremely fun (if extended) experience.
  4. Participate in NaNoWriMo 2009.
    And win again this year. Without heroics.
  5. And, as always, a page a day.
    Of something . . . anything. Preferably on one of the above goals.
And here's hoping all of you a happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year!